Sunday, May 20, 2012

Rain, Rain, Go Away Come to Cannes Another Day

   Rain= no fun. Rain in Cannes= way worse than no fun, it flat out sucks. It's been so cold and windy out today and a huge rainstorm started this afternoon. Since we have to wait outside on lines for the majority of the movies, it definitely puts a damper on things. However, we did not let it stop us from having a great day anyway! We got up early around 9:30 to make it to the Lumiere for a competition film from Denmark, called The Hunt. Jaycee, Adam, Hayley, and I picked up chocolate croissants and coffees and made the trek into the center of town. We got tickets no problem and I ran into my friends from Penn not on the program, Charlotte and Rachel. Sadly, they're heading home tomorrow, but I was glad to get the chance to see them for a few minutes since I haven't all week! The Hunt was definitely a well made film, but the theme of it didn't sit well with me (it was a film about a man who is accused of sexually abusing young children in the kindergarten class he teaches after one of the little girls lied about it) so I came out frustrated with it.... According to my smart cinema studies friends, that was the whole point, but still, not my favorite so far.
   We waited on line after that for another film in the Un Certain Regard competition called Confessions of a Child of the Century, but unfortunately, the theater was packed before we could get in. As luck would have it though, a market screening (screenings intended for buyers of films, but also open to festival badge holders if there are extra seats) of a film called Struck by Lightning was being shown an hour later. I had been wanting to see this film for a while, since one of the girls in my Art and Business of Film class at Penn this semester worked as a producer for it after taking a year off school, so she told us a lot about it and even streamed the trailer for us one day in class! Jaycee and I got another round of coffees to tide us over (they are SO SMALL IN FRANCE) and waited outside the theater. We were the first ones in the festival line and made it into the movie! It was written by and stars Chris Colfer from Glee and also had a lot of other fun stars in the cast including Dulmont Mulroney, Christina Hendricks, Allison Janey, Sarah Hyland (from Modern Family!), and Rebel Wilson (from Bridesmaids). It was such a cute movie and definitely cheered us up on this rainy day! We walked outside and it was pouring and all we had eaten were our croissants, so we went to get lunch/dinner/whatever this meal could be called. The restaurant wasn't stellar, but it did the trick.... Hayley, Rawson, and I did not want to withstand the rain and cold temperatures for any longer so we decided to head back and skip out on a movie for tonight. Jaycee and Adam stayed to see another one but quickly followed us back after the tent the movie was supposed to screen in blew over due to strong winds (LOL). Tonight I'll be staying in and probably watching another movie on my laptop (because what else can you do as a break when you are taking a break from watching movies all day? Like actually?) and hanging out with everyone else here- most people are back so there is tons of company! Finally I'm all caught up on daily blogging, so check back tomorrow for what adventures Cannes has in store for me then!

No comments:

Post a Comment